Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

A week and a month

This past week was quite cruisy after golden day festivities. The main things that happened were going to a one-day gathering of KGK (Japanese IFES group) university students from around the Tokyo area...and even a little beyond. That happened on saturday, met quite a few people and while listening to the sermon in japanese (first time listening without english translation) I grasped how far my Japanese has yet to improve. The topic of the sermon as far as I could understand was about two roads of life, I'd heard this topic preached on before but it made me heaps happy to hear something of this depth in Japan. Afterwards we had a chance to meet people in our university district 'buroku' (thats 'block' btw). I met people from Sophia, Keio univ etc Trying to converse in Japanese was quite hard for me, topics stayed superficial but I equally looked forward to meeting the people of KGK, the staff who our team is partnering with and also the opportunity to practice Japanese. On a side note I did take away from that day the realisation that practicing speech isn't enough because speech uses what you already thoroughly know and remember at the time you speak. To actually increase one's ability to comprehend and engage in more complex discussion it starts with the study you've done. That's how it appears to me anyway, to take a martial arts analogy (love it) study is your hours in class doing repetitions and technique tuning, endurance and strength training etc while discussion is your tournament, just like you don't have a sensei to guide you in your fight, you don't have your study notes or google to help you talk. I also met a few of the KGK staffworkers who knew about our team coming to Japan, we met after the program was over with the lady who was in charge of our first two week Tokyo itinerary. I couldn't tell who was more excited at us being in Japan, partnering with them will be great.

Dinnertime! So Harry, Harry's KGK friend, Harry's Jewish-American friend and I (yes I have no friends :P) went out for dinner with the mother and younger daughter of Harry's home stay from his previous time in Japan. We went to a department store and after sometime deciding (man I hate long decisions I have no patience!) we entered the Chinese restaurant. Strangely enough Chinese food reminded me of Australia more than anything so far but a difference in the cuisine served in the two countries exists. I think after eating it here, definitely the taste is Japanized as all things are BUT I swear it makes the stuff back in Australia look cheap and un-authentic (sorry guys). I'm no expert but I've been to quite a few so it's not ignorance that is the source of this conclusion. After the meal before we could even reach for out wallets, Harry's host mum had shown us all what real ninjas are. By the time I stood up, she had run ever so quietly and subtly and already paid for us.....it's like there never was a bill. I don't know how much of the conversation between me and Harry her daughter translated to her but somehow she got the feeling that Harry and I were still hungry. So she took us to the lower levels of the department store and tried to find something for us to eat after we parted despite both Harry and me intensely protesting and thanking her for treating dinner. Downstairs was awesome, and bang on 10 minutes after 7 certain perishables get 20% off stickers so smart shopping can save you lotsa money. The first thing we tried was some cheese, to be honest I would have liked some cheese since I do like it and haven't had any since leaving Australia. There was a guy who was serving samples of what they called cream cheese, but I think is supposed to be camembert, not too sure. To my taste it was sweet and the man said that was because of the raisin it was served with so he offered me one without one.....I tried to discretely say that it was sweet to Harry's host mum so we could move on. I hope the guy didn't think I was a douche. In the end we found some gyoza which was tasted so good eating at home later. Before that however we went to Vie de France, don't let the name fool you it's owned by a Japanese bakery company. Mainly to just have a chat, they treated us drinks as well (my gosh so not used to hospitality like this from someone I've just met) I ordered coffee, I'd had coffee before but Starbucks is well American so yeah I didn't have high expectations....to prove my point I also tried coffee at a okonomiyaki restaurant which was drip coffee (ewwwww) also brought over by, Americans. Anyway THIS coffee was compared to all of them amazing, didn't taste fully authentic but it 'passed'. Over our drinks I was also asked by Harry's host mum who's also a christian why I became one. Saying my testimony in Japanese was quite hard even with Harry and the host daughter's help but somehow I managed so that was great.

The next day was church and lifegroup nothing new to report. It was also Mother's day - Happy Mother's day to all mums :D

Today I had my fortnightly meeting with my tutor, this time around we conversed in Japanese which I still wasn't able to do to the full extent but somehow we managed to discuss some various topics and compare culture etc. Afterwards I went to gym/swim which I had put off for a while so going back felt great. The gym is especially fun because the people there are just funny, to me anyway. I guess to help you understand, the ideal Japanese form is tall, slender and handsome face for guys, for girls its slender (I should really say ghostly but I won't), white skin and about the same height as the guys or less. Now the reason this makes gym funny is because Japanese people work hard we all know that, as a result they don't eat much and because of the landscape conditions and climate of the country the main things that grow are vegetables and grain. The average Japanese person lacks in my opinion alot of fats, oils, protein, sugars, carbs compared to a Westerner for example. What this means is that Japanese people are already quite thin by nature and comparatively not as muscular. Thus going to the gym to burn what little carbs they did consume, not gaining much muscle for lack of protein and even losing muscle by dieting means they approach the realm of literally skin and bone (and thin bones at that). Fair to say the complete opposite of Australia, especially for men.

With that I end this post and my first month in Japan :)

2 comments:

  1. the avg japanese person lacks knowledges because the avg japanees person is born ignorant. THis is the country that consumes instant noodles with a patriotic fervour and calls instant curry . . . well curry ... . sometimes its better to not know whats in your food (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol alen...when i compare your blog to mine i see how differently we think :P Obviously you're much more observant than i am!! Interesting blog dude, keep it up :) And Saturday was great fun :D loved KGK! And aren't you glad you have now properly met Kaori and her mum? :) They're some of the most awesome people i've ever met :D

    ReplyDelete