Search This Blog

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Man I don't remember art being this fun

So today or rather yesterday (Saturday) I had my first sculpture class which was 7 hours long and will be for the duration of the subject. Since I haven't done any art whatsoever since year 10 I was quite nervous to be giving it a shot at university level. My anxiety was well founded there are a lot of keen, talented and skilled artists in the class of about 16. Now don't be disappointed when I say that we didn't actually do any sculpting, my teacher said that working on a 3D object in our first class would be nigh impossible so we spent most of the time doing sketches and colourless paintings. I was never any good at drawing, but something that did help me was my mum being an artist I remembered some of her drawings and used the same technique to draw our model. The first pose was just basically standing straight feet slightly askew, we had 30 minutes for this first sketch. Even though the pose was the same having one leg askew served to confuse me on two points, the legs had different proportions and different areas of the knee were showing. I spent quite some time just trying to get the legs right so my image had some balance. Giving the picture balance was like yeah...Also for some reason

Wow I just killed a mosquito and bright red blood came out that's creepy.

Anyway, for some reason my drawings were smaller than everyone else's but I was like 'meh' and kept on going. Drawing the first pose also helped to understand the thoughts of the earliest sculptors, because the standing pose is how sculpture started. Class progressed and the model adopted two more poses before we got our brushes out. We only drew one painting on large paper in black and white. I think it was to try and capture the tone of the body as best we could, I did really badly mine was just black and white with only a minimal amount of grey for shadows. The model was dressed in black and had black hair so it was quite appropriate to only use black and white haha. Side note here because the pose was sitting down, the model actually started to nod off, she had been from the start but this was a real challenge. However as expected of a professional dancer and obviously experienced model she pulled through hahaha. I had extra time so I actually made a second painting using the other end of the brush to replicate Aboriginal style paintings. That just turned out weird, pictures will be up soon ><

The last part of class was more to relax but I think I liked this part heaps, 3 poses, 3 minutes and 3 pieces of paper. Those were the conditions we had to make 3 drawings lightning fast. The idea behind this was to make us prioritise the key features of each pose to capture well...to capture whatever the heck we wanted to bahaha. I think the end of art class is also fun when you look everyone elses drawings, no two are the same since fundamentally everyone has a different angle of vision. Oh! back to why my Images were small, I actually held up the image next to the model from where I was sitting and the size was about 95% the same, I think I have difficulty zooming in hahaha.

Wow I just noticed a mosquito bite from previously mentioned dead mosquito dam ninja got me first how annoying.

Today I mage Nikujaga, commonly served at Izakaya around Japan. Heaps simple, meat is cooked until it changes colour then onion chopped 4 times, followed by carrots chopped in small wedges and potatoes in quarter wedges. About a cup of Dashi soup stock is added and brought to a boil, then left to simmer on medium for 10 minutes. I added soy sauce, sake and mirin (instead of sugar) at this point and then left to simmer till almost all liquid was gone. I also added noodles at the 10 minute mark, just normal soba I'll need to try with noodles that are actually made for dishes that have liquid in the preparation haha. But I think this is also another healthy dish, super tasty and super easy haha :D I think I made it for less than 400 yen and any place would charge 1100 yen minimal for it I think ><

No comments:

Post a Comment