Search This Blog

Saturday, April 24, 2010

Katsudon and Kombu

Today for a late lunch which turned into a dinner I decided to try Katsudon, a dish I really enjoyed back in Sydney and over here as well. Turns out it's really easy to make and perfect for one or many people. In order to make this dish you ideally prepare everything fresh but it is also a good way to reuse leftover Dashi (soup stock) and/or Tonkatsu (pork cutlet schnitzel). First up I'll explain what I did for Dashi and Tonkatsu.

  If you read previous posts I explained that you can make Dashi quite easy just from soaking and heating dried shiitake mushrooms. Today I tried to use Kombu (Edible kelp) and Katsuoboshi (dried flakes of fish) to make Kombu-Katsuoboshi soup stock. The desired amount of Kombu (I used 4cm by 30cm strip cut in three) is soaked in 4 cups of water for half an hour. Then I started to cook the kelp on medium heat and when it's just about to start boiling take out the kelp gently, put in some katsuoboshi, turn off the heat and cover with a lid. Strain the broth through a colander, put the katsuboshi and kombu back in the pot and refill with another 4 cups of water. Heat to a boil and hold the heat for 3 minutes, let it cool a bit, strain and you're done.

  For Tonkatsu cut the fat off you're desired number of pork cutlets and hammer out thinly. Salt and pepper both sides now, this also helps to sterilize the meat. Evenly dash flour on both sides and pat it in lightly. Dip into beaten egg and then place in a dish of bread crumbs, press, turn over and press again. Place in a pan about medium (180 degree) heat for about 2.5 minutes a side. Once done place in paper towel to drain the oil out. Serving by itself, simply cut into strips.

  Before you make the actual meal I suggest having the rice already cooked cos this is really fast :) Place half a cup for each pork cutlet you used into a pan on medium heat, along with a quarter of an onion, one tablespoon of soy sauce, half a tablespoon of mirin and eighth teaspoon of sugar per pork cutlet. Turn the heat onto low, put the pork in and leave for 2-3. The final step is to turn the heat on high until it starts to boil. Beat up one egg per cutlet and pour over the meat and onions, turn the heat down low, cover and leave to simmer for about 3-5 minutes.

What happens in the pan is by some witchcraft the omelette absorbs the soup and onions and attachs itself to the meat so that it becomes one whole soft substance. This is served over your rice. It is so delicious, making it myself I'm confident to say is better than what you get in restaurants. I enjoyed that for dinner along with Bourbon Grape Soda (I bought a bottle of 720ml bourbon for $8AUD so I've been enjoying that alot lately :D)

No comments:

Post a Comment