Search This Blog

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Soup day

Today I started and finished my day with soup which has finished up my dashi stock reserve. I'm currently making another batch :)

The dish is called Nyumen, it uses a variety of noodle called Somen (Japanese wheat flour noodles, like udon but with the thickness of spaghettini) and I accompanied that with some Miso soup.

Water is brought to boil in a deep pot and then somen added and cooked for 2-3 minutes to taste. Drain the noodles out and leave to one side in a colander. In the same pot put some dashi soup stock (I used about 2 cups per bunch of noodles but I think next time I'll use 1.5 depends how much soup you like) bring that to a boil, along the way add one tbsp of soy sauce, half tbsp of mirin and a little salt to taste per bunch of noodles. Also while the soup is being heated up wash the noodles you left in a colander and finely chop up some green onion and choice of vegetables, I just used half a carrot you don't need much. Turn down the heat to low and cover while you prepare miso.

For Miso soup I wanted to use the other half of my carrot so it's included here but I'll try a tofu recipe soon. I think about quarter tbsp per cup of soup stock is used. Put all the soup stock in a deep pan or small pot along with carrot and bring to a boil. Once there gather some stock out and put in a separate bowl to dissolve the miso and turn the heat down low. Mix thoroughly and return the Miso slowly to the main pot when it has largely calmed down. Stir Miso and serve both dishes.

I had this for breakfast and dinner it's really good in the cold, quite filling, builds stamina and quite quick to make if you have stock ready.

Inbetween this soupfest I had Lifegroups (sharing and coffee time!) and church :) But now I have to do my assignment, probably the rest of the week till friday :(

No comments:

Post a Comment